Bariatric surgery to effect weight loss is now a commonly performed procedure best performed in high volume centers. Most programs for gastric bypass have developed its own protocol for post operative care. The following care recommendations are widely used:
1. Do not use Toradol – no exceptions!!
2. Do not blindly replace a nasogastric tube because of the proximity of the anastomosis to the gastroesophageal junction
3. Keep oxygen saturation > 95%
4. CPAP/BiPap may be used if indicated starting on post-operative day #1
5. Tachycardia is a sign of possible anastomotic leak and must be investigated promptly.
Leave a Reply